1. To carry out Chinese policies, regulations and the instructions and decisions on foreign affairs, overseas Chinese affairs and Hong Kong & Macau affairs; to research and discuss with relative departments the measures and methods for the practice of policies on foreign affairs, overseas Chinese affairs and Hong Kong & Macau affairs and the city economic and social development ; and to propose to relative issues on foreign affairs, overseas Chinese affairs and Hong Kong & Macau affairs in the departments and units concerned
2. To study and draft local code and regulations on Municipal foreign affairs, overseas Chinese affairs and Hong Kong & Macau affairs; to bring forward suggestions concerning rules and regulations and planning of the foreign affairs, overseas Chinese affairs and Hong Kong & Macau affairs of Chengdu; to supervise the report of documents related to foreign affairs, overseas Chinese affairs and Hong Kong & Macau affairs to Municipal Party Committee and Municipal government; to supervise international conferences held in Chengdu; and to be in charge of or assist in handling vital foreign affairs, overseas Chinese affairs and Hong Kong & Macau affairs or other vital events in Chengdu.
3. To assist in managing foreign consular institutions in Chengdu; to be in charge of Municipal exchanges with foreign consular institutions; and to be in charge of managing foreigners invited to Chengdu and consular certificates dealing.
4. To be responsible for Municipal official visits to foreign countries and deal with related audit and certificate management under the authority and limitation of law; to be in charge of supervising the implementation of foreign affairs regulations and rules of confidentiality and assisting in dealing with cases against foreign affairs regulations and rules of confidentiality.
5. To be responsible for the reception of State guests, Party guests, foreign diplomats and overseas Chinese and compatriots in Hong Kong and Macau and overall arrangement of Municipal leaders' foreign affairs-related events; to organize related work on conferring Honorary Chengdu Citizens for Foreigners, overseas Chinese and compatriots in Hong Kong and Macau.
6. To manage the exchange activities between Chengdu and her foreign sister-cities, friendly district (city) county and other friendly units; to construct people-to-people exchange in Chengdu.
7. To carry out work on overseas Chinese in China and their relatives, to protect legal rights of overseas Chinese in China and their relatives, overseas Chinese and compatriots in Hong Kong and Macau; to instruct and supervise overseas Chinese donation and assist related departments to deal with the personnel arrangement of overseas Chinese representatives; to connect and instruct oversea Chinese-related association work in Chengdu
8. To offer services for promoting friendship among overseas Chinese & associations and compatriots in Hong Kong and Macau Special Administration Region; to assist related departments to cope with oversea Chinese participation in the administration and discussion of state affairs; to be in charge of overseas Chinese settling down in Chengdu and Hong Kong & Macau compatriots work in Chengdu; to assist with related departments on issues of Entry &Exit of overseas Chinese, Hong Kong & Macau compatriots
9. To research bringing in overseas talents and investment to Chengdu and put forward policy proposals and carry out bringing in overseas Chinese capital, technology, and talents; to serve for the overseas enterprises in Chengdu and coordinate overseas Chinese related economic complaint and protect oversea Chinese legal interest
10. To lead the management of activities of foreign NGOs in Chengdu and activities organized by citizens; to engage in Chengdu citizens' consular protection abroad and foreigners-related cases in Chengdu; to deal with foreign affairs-related and overseas Chinese-related cases in Chengdu.
11. To be in charge of Hong Kong and Macau related affairs, to coordinate management and cooperation with Hong Kong and Macau; to be responsible for the task examination and approval of Chengdu citizens official visits to Hong Kong and Macau and connections with offices of Hong Kong and Macau Special Administrative Region in Chengdu; to deal with emergency events related to Hong Kong and Macau affairs; to be in charge of invitation and reception of officials from Hong Kong and Macau Special Administrative Region and other related staffs on official business to Chengdu
12. To be in charge of propaganda of foreign affairs and overseas related affairs; to be responsible for the management of foreign news institutes in Chengdu and foreign interviews in Chengdu and foreign journalists.
13. To organize important overseas Chinese related economic, scientific and cultural cooperation and exchanges and overseas Chinese related propaganda and overseas Chinese education
14. To be responsible for supervisory management of capital specially for overseas Chinese development, state-owned property and donation